Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Songs with Meaning List


David Bench 
Period 7 Personal Branding
Songs with Special Meaning
1.  Phil Collins: "In the Air Tonight"
  • Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight" serves as a motivator song for me. This is one of the few songs that I know all of the words by heart. The song is very unique in its mix of classic and modern rock styles, and the lyrics have a deep meaning to me. I am able to find determination from this song.

  1. Steppenwolf: "Magic Carpet Ride"
  • Steppenwolf's "Magic Carpet Ride" is one of those songs that I am able to clear my mind and relax to. There are very few songs that I feel allow me to 'escape' from any difficulties I am having, but this is one of them. I remember listening to this song throughout my childhood (was actually a theme song for a computer game I played) and it brings me a sense of happiness whenever I listen to it.

3. Norman Greenbaum: "Spirit in the Sky"
  • This song is very special to me. This song is of my favorite genre, classic rock, and has a unique meaning to me that I don't get from most other songs. It has a religious meaning to it (the lyrics themselves) and reminds me to continue doing good deeds and try to avoid trouble. It is a very calming song and I have heard it throughout my childhood as it was one of my dad's favorite songs as well.

4.  Creedence Clearwater Revival (CCR): "Fortunate Song"
  • This is a very well-known song for its historical context, as it is strongly based on the Vietnam War. This song represents an aspect of my family that I am very proud of. It has a sort of militaristic sense of it and serves as a motivator for me in my hopes of serving in the Air Force, just as my grandfather, father, and three uncles have.


5.  Lyndard Skynard: "Sweet Home Alabama"
  • Another popular song, "Sweet Home Alabama" is a pure and simple song for me to listen to. It allows me to relax when times get tough and/or in stressful times. I know almost all of the words to this song naturally, and it brings a sense of happiness to me just based on its simple, appealing nature.

6. House of Pain: "Jump Around"
  • I am generally not a fan of any rap/hip-hop songs, but House of Pain's "Jump Around" is one of my very few exceptions. I originally heard this song in the movie Mrs. Doubtfire and it had a unique impression on me based on its simplicity and catchy tone. This song is always able to get me moving and has lyrics that are I don't find to be ridiculous unlike some of the other "popular" songs of the same genre. This song always gets me moving!

No comments:

Post a Comment